Big Bend Cooperative Preschool Lead Teacher
Big Bend Cooperative Preschool has served children and their families since 1960. Teaching at BBCP is a rich, rewarding, and challenging opportunity. We are an independent, multi-age (18 months to 5 years), child-centered, play-based, cooperative preschool. Our motto is “Children and parents learning together…because parents are a child’s first teacher”. We are currently seeking a new Lead Teacher for our toddler classes, preschool class, and prekinder class. As Lead Teacher you will work collaboratively with other teachers, volunteer board and enrolled parents, to provide an enriching preschool experience for our children.
The right candidate for this position will embrace the Co-op model, have strong skills in directing and working with adults, and have the enthusiasm and energy to lead preschoolers in fun, engaging and meaningful learning experiences. This position requires a double focus. As well as planning, preparing, and leading daily class times, there will also be administrative duties which are paramount to the success of our school.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prior to the school year, assist with school set-up and orientation. Engage with families and children individually. Review and revise the daily class schedule and written guidelines/schedules for parent/teachers.
- On an ongoing basis, create and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum plans that allow for and respond to child emergent activities and play, in collaboration with enrolled parents/volunteer board.
- Organize and oversee all activities of each class session. Model respectful, non-coercive care and support our problem solving, child-centered, anti-bias and play-based philosophies. Promote a positive, comfortable environment that encourages each child’s self-esteem.
- Work closely with parents/caregivers as assistant teachers in class, as co-workers at parent meetings, and as a resource person on issues of child development. In collaboration with the teachers/volunteer board, train a parent to act as a substitute teacher when you are absent.
- Work with other teachers to maintain a healthy preschool environment (coordinate class set-up, share materials, discuss child development, respond to parent concerns, schedule visiting times, etc.).
- Participate in parent education, including co-teaching at parent meetings, and as needed, informal or formal parent teacher conferences.
- Participate in evening meetings: one parent meeting and one board/business meeting each month.
- Participate in enrollment decisions with the teachers/volunteer board.
- Participate in and support ongoing special events, including summer potluck, community building events, and fundraising activities.
- Participate in, attend or lead workshops related to child/family studies. Travel support provided.
- Daily arrangement of school equipment, some heavy lifting required.
- Assist with the care of classroom fish tank.
- Perform administrative duties necessary for the Co-op.
- Experience teaching preschool-aged children (or related/equivalent experience), preferably in a play-based environment.
- Experience in parent education and leadership, or demonstrate an interest and willingness to learn in this area.
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt to child-led learning.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both children and adults.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Proficiency in Google Docs, Gmail, and Google Drive.
- Filing, both electronic and physical.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field, strongly preferred.
- CPR/First Aid for Infant and Children Certification or willingness to obtain within 4 weeks of employment agreement.
- Being part of a strong, tight-knit community
- Competitive Salary wage
- Support for continuing education
- Possibility of teaching alongside your own children
- Salary is based on experience according to the PCPO Merit Scale Worksheet
- Applicants are advised to become familiar with our website, bbcooppreschool.com, and our advising organisation, parentchildpreschools.org.
- Competitive applicants will have read It’s Okay Not To Share, by Shumaker, H. and How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk, by Faber, A. and Mazlish, E.
To apply for this job please send resume, cover letter and 3 references to BBCP.President@gmail.com. Open until filled.